Header Ads

DAILIES: Today's National Newspaper Headlines/News - 23/4/2015


Hello....have you read Newspaper headline today?




PUNCH

****FG SUMMONS S'AFRICAN HIGH COMMISSIONER OVER ATTACKS


The Federal Government on Wednesday summoned the South African High Commissioner to Nigeria,   Lulu Louis-Mnguni, over the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians and other black Africans.

The government also demanded compensation from the South African authorities for the Nigerian victims of the violence by black South Africans.

A statement   from the Public Communications Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Louis-Mnguni met in Abuja on Wednesday with the Minister of State for Foreign Affairs,   Musiliu Obanikoro.

The statement explained that during the meeting, Obanikoro expressed Nigeria's concern over the fate of its and other nationals in South Africa.

He underscored the fact that since South Africa was a major player on the continent, it should   make its nationals to live in peace with citizens of other countries.

The minister called on the South African government to "take concrete steps to quell the unrest and bring the culprits involved to book, to serve as a deterrent to others and prevent reoccurrence."

According to the statement, the High Commissioner informed the minister that Pretoria was doing everything possible to address the attacks and prosecute those behind them.

He expressed appreciation to the Federal Government for the manner in which it was handling the crisis.

The envoy also disclosed that sensitisation campaigns would be carried out to educate South Africans on the need for them to live in peace with other nationals.

As the meeting was going on, the National Assembly and the United Nations flayed the attacks in the former apartheid enclave and called for their immediate end.

Like the Executive did, the   House of Representatives also sought compensation for the victims and their families.

Its Committee on Diaspora Affairs said that compensation would be "a major step in healing the wounds" inflicted on Nigerians and other African migrants.

The Chairman of the committee,   Abike Dabiri-Erewa, conveyed the House demand when   she delivered the resolution of the House to   Louis-Mnguni in Abuja.

She said it was a "sad development " that South Africans would kill and destroy the properties of fellow Africans for reasons that were not defensible.

Dabiri-Erewa, who led members of the committee to the South African High Commission in Abuja to register the legislature's unhappiness with the attacks, urged Pretoria to make "determined efforts" to quell the attacks.

She said, "Nigeria will not tolerate further killing and harassment of Nigerians and other Africans in South Africa.

"We have to add that there should be compensation for all those who suffered as a result of these attacks", she told the envoy.


****FG RECANTS, SAYS JONATHAN WILL HAND OVER MAY 29


The Federal Government on Wednesday changed its mind on the earlier plan for President Goodluck Jonathan to formally hand over power to the President-elect, Muhammadu Buhari, on May 28 as against the May 29 Democracy Day.

The Minister of Information, Patricia Akwashiki, had last week said that Jonathan intended to have the formal handing over done at a dinner on May 28, so that the administration could reserve May 29 for the incoming government.

That announcement generated controversy with some prominent lawyers arguing that the plan would create a vacuum in the leadership of the country as Buhari would be inaugurated 24 hours after the handing over ceremony.

But while briefing State House correspondents at the end of the weekly Federal Executive Council meeting presided over by Jonathan on Wednesday, Akwashiki recanted.

The minister, who said the meeting again centered on the transition programme, denied ever telling reporters that the President would hand over to the President-elect on May 28.

She claimed that what she said was that the process of preparing handover notes would be completed by May 28.

She explained that Jonathan would not hand over power until May 29.

NIGERIAN MILITARY GUNS DOWN TOP BOKO HARAM COMMANDER

The Nigerian military has gunned down one of the top commanders of the Boko Haram terror group during an exchange of gunfire at Alagarno, the closest major town to the infamous Sambisa forest.

The Director of Defence Information (DDI), Major-General Chris Olukolade, confirmed this in a statement on Wednesday, saying that the terrorist kingpin died while leading a comeback attack on the troops.

"A notorious top terrorist commander, Abu Mojahid, was among the terrorists that died in their encounter with troops on the outskirts of Alagarno, Tuesdaymorning.  The terrorists had staged a daring attack on troops who were on patrol of the area," Olukolade said.

According to him, a number of the terrorists died as the troops repelled the attack.

"Some rocket propelled grenades (RPGs) as well as vehicle mounted anti-aircraft guns were either captured or destroyed in the encounter," he revealed.

He also stated that military operations were continuing in the form of offensive action on identified terrorists in some of the forest's locations. (this day).


*Suspect steals N3.2m during PDP campaign rally

*Jonathan won't contest in 2019 – Babatope

*We'll regain power in 2019 –PDP

*Fayose vows to lead opposition against APC

*Court dismisses two eligibility suits against Buhari

*Emulate Myles Monroe, group tells Nigerian leaders

*Speakership: S'South wants to succeed Tambuwal

*Eatery worker jailed 266 years for stealing N8m

*Utomi, others seek support for cancer clinics

*New IG resumes, warns troublemakers

*Fans unhappy with Keshi's return

*Osaze return thrills Stoke boss



VANGUARD

*South Africans Attack Nigerians

*APC challenges Kashamu's victory at tribunal

*Shortage of gas mars power generation

*Constitution amendments: What options left for National Assembly?

*62-yr-old oil mogul rescued from kidnappers in Lagos

*WAEC official killed in war-torn Agatu LGA in Benue

*With the people behind me I will win — Ikpeazu

*Election was a rigging competition between PDP and APGA — Nyerere, APC candidate

*Jonathan's defeat is God-sent avenue to recreate PDP — Ndoma-Egba

*Taraba Gov: Continuing suspense and intrigues

*BoI chief proposes reverse engineering for economy

*Nigeria set to enhance agro-allied products export earnings

*N220bn CBN facility: Skye Bank woos S/East SMEs operators


THIS DAY

*Buhari to Publish PwC Forensic Audit on NNPC

*FG Asks Supreme Court to Nullify Amendments to Constitution

*FG: Jonathan will Hand over to Buhari on May 29

*Home Office Ordered to Bring Back Mother and Five-year-old Son Deported to Nigeria

*Abia Guber Election: Obiano Rallies Support for Otti

*Ayade Gets Certificate of Return, Says No Winner, No Vanquished

*Mnguni: Mandela Won't Be Happy With the Xenophobic Attacks

*Report: How Tinubu Could Shape Nigeria's Government

*Ezekwesili Tasks Obama to Replicate Osama Effect and Rescue Chibok Girls

*Fayose's Impeachment: Women Protest against Lawmakers

*Agbakoba: Buhari Should Take a Cue from Roosevelt

*Certificate Forgery: Two Plaintiffs Withdraw Suits against Buhari

*LCCI Blames CBN for Scarcity of Foreign Exchange

*Ondo Assembly Directs CJ to Constitute Impeachment Panel against Dep Gov

*PDP Directs Aggrieved Members to Channel Grievances through State Chairmen

*Corrupt Senate will Frustrate Buhari's Anti-corruption Plan, Says Group

*NANS to APC: N'Assembly Leadership Should Be Based on Merit Not Zoning


THE NATION


*Seven convicted over BRT violations

*My wife beats me, man tells court

*'Lagos generates 11,000 metric tonnes of waste daily'

*Court dissolves 20-year-old marriage over man's insanity

*How my houseboy, others robbed me, by Indian

*He abandoned me for 10 years, says wife

*Judge bars reporters from murder, robbery trial

*Sack fever grips Jonathan's aides after Abba's exit

*President's wife calls emergency African First Ladies' summit

*FRC audits banks' accounts

*Fayose: APC planning chaos from May 29

*APC to Fayose: you're a hypocrite

*Olanusi: Ondo Assembly directs CJ to raise panel

*President won't hand over till May 29, says Fed Govt

*Elections in Imo, Abia, Taraba my priority, says Arase

*Eight Nigerians seek to leave South Africa, says envoy

*Military launches final offensive against Boko Haram in Sambisa

*Senate to South Africa: attacks unacceptable


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.